Tuesday, January 6, 2009

EGM is Dead, 1up recieves massive firings

I know this is supposed to be a blog about SOCOM, but I just want to express how fucking pissed off I am, while at the same time depressed about what happened today. If you haven't already heard, UGO bought 1up.com, while in the process killing EGM and firing 30 people from the EGM/1up.com staff. Meaning no more 1up Show, and no more 1up podcasts.

Just a few months shy of a year ago, Mike Cruz (who at the time was Associate Art Director of EGM) personally sent me an email with the exclusive image of their SOCOM Confrontation cover story for me to post on the blog, which of course I did.

It was a completely selfless gesture on the part of EGM for me and my tiny number of followers, and of course ended up exposing this blog to a number of large traffic grabbing sites like Kotaku and Joystiq, who picked up the cover story via my blog post. If it wasn't for the kind hearts at EGM/1up, I wouldn't have got the amount of traffic or number of podcast downloads that I did.

For me, this is easily the worst thing that has happened to the game journalism business since I've been alive, and I hope as much of the core group can stay together as possible to go on and create much bigger things. Whatever they chose to do, I know their talent won't go to waste.

No comments: